Public Relations (Certificate)
Learn how to connect with third-party influencers and use media to your advantage through the certificate program in Public Relations. You’ll learn to reach an organization’s target market and manage that organization’s reputation—all while using persuasive and creative tactics for traditional and digital media. The certificate program gives you experience in researching target markets, developing PR and communication plans, and measuring the results of your efforts.
You’ll learn to:
- Communicate persuasively to targeted audiences to meet specific organizational outcomes
- Create communication plans with measurable results using public relations best practices, tactics, and strategies
- Develop, manage, and analyze effective media relations practices
- Articulate and defend the selection of techniques to measure, monitor, and influence reputation
- Articulate the primary principles and practices of public relations
Credits earned through this graduate certificate may apply toward a master's degree in Communication Management.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at http://www.du.edu/learn/certificates/disclosure/opc.html
The graduate Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Relations requires completion of 24 credit hours (6 courses).
Concentration courses allow students to focus on a specific professional area within the larger industry sector in which they are working or wish to work, and master the skills needed to excel in that area.
- COMM 4144 - Public Relations Principles and Processes
- COMM 4145 - Public Relations Writing and Tactics
- COMM 4150 - Dimensions of Reputation Management
- COMM 4155 - Public Relations Research and Measurement
Electives may be chosen from among all courses in Communication Management programs. You may also select courses from other University College graduate programs with approval from the academic director.
After you submit your academic plan, your academic advisor will help you select electives that align with your career and personal goals, and your advisor will obtain any necessary approvals from the academic director.
Popular electives for students pursuing Communication Management programs include:
- COMM 4006 - Communicating Effectively in Groups and Teams
- COMM 4016 - Persuasion Methods and Techniques
- COMM 4020 - Communication in Professions and Organizations
- COMM 4045 - Applied Critical Thinking in Communication
- COMM 4050 - Communication and Society: Theories and Applications
- COMM 4140 - Marketing Strategy and Process
- COMM 4301 - Branding and Market Positioning
- COMM 4320 - Integrating Social Media
- COMM 4321 - Digital Marketing Communication
- COMM 4327 - Writing for Digital Media
- COMM 4701 - Topics in COMM
Additional Elective courses available, please Design your custom plan for elective courses
Design Your Custom Plan
Start Customizing Your Certificate
View the tutorial or start building your plan now.Design Your Custom Plan!
Careers in Public Relations Certificate
Public Relations Manager, Publicist, Public Relations Specialist, Brand Manager, Director of Communications, Writer, Consultant
Managing brands and reputations; producing content; planning and directing campaigns and events; preparing briefing materials, press releases, and media kits; communicating with internal and external stakeholders; designing and reviewing communication strategies.
Public Relations Specialist and Manager positions are often ranked some of the best and most creative jobs in the nation. Whether promoting a brand, organization, or individual, PR professionals use creative, social, and technical skills—skills that are in high demand!
Careers in Communication Management
Top communicators get the top rankings! Public relations specialists, marketing researchers, art directors, and marketing managers all placed among the top 100 best careers in a 2013 ranking by U.S. News & World Report. And although communication, public relations, and media jobs tend to be in larger, metropolitan areas, there is a trend that clearly shows a dispersal of job openings across the nation. Whether you're looking to enter creative services, mediation, media, training and development, or another communication field, the key is to prove ingenuity, resilience, and communication savvy.
Stay ahead of the curve!
New media, new technology, and new global opportunities are all the rage within the communication industry, as employers seek industrious professionals who have innovative skills and can bring something new and dynamic to the table. By next year, total marketing spend will have shifted drastically: interactive online marketing will reach $55 billion and search marketing will grow 15% per year to reach $32 billion. Those with an innate ability to generate creative solutions, think innovatively, and market themselves will likely excel within the organizational and professional communication field.
Enhance Your Career
As a student, you'll gain access to a range of free services offered through DU Career Services. From resume and cover letter assistance to individual career counseling and assessments, you'll have valuable career support during and after your program.
Ready to Apply
It's time to gather your materials and apply to your program of choice. Remember to include:
How to Apply
Need More Information
Interested in attending University College, but need additional information before you make a decision? No problem−we're here to help. You may request additional information about a specific program and specialty, review and ask questions in our Frequently Asked Questions section, or contact University College directly.
- Request additional information
- Ask a question
- Email University College or call 303-871-2291 or 800-347-2042
Want to Take a Class
Even if you missed the application deadline, you can start taking courses for one quarter before you have to submit a completed application. We know how important it is to get started when you're ready, so review the class schedule or start the registration process now.