Energy and Sustainability (Master's)
The Energy and Sustainability master's degree concentration is offered online or on campus at the University of Denver in the evenings, or in a combination of both, to meet the needs of busy adults. Students are prepared to enter the dynamic industry of energy and sustainability, which is emerging in importance and popularity around the world. Students will establish a solid foundation in energy and sustainability concepts, and then learn to integrate environmental systems, put policy into practice, and develop effective sustainability plans. Regulatory and policy issues related to energy development, implementation, and use, energy finance, and alternative and renewable energy processes will be examined, along with renewable energy sources, plans for integration, and trends within the field of energy.
Sustainable systems must be considered and developed in the areas of growth, transportation, energy, policy, and business models in order to head off looming environmental, political, and humanitarian problems. This will be accomplished through a comprehensive study of sustainability in the areas of economic development, green building, land use, transportation, and water resources. Customize your Environmental Policy and Management master's degree through the innovative Professional Options Curriculum using our convenient online degree builder tool, which allows you to select courses that cater to your specific career needs.
This degree prepares students to:
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of how non−renewable and renewable energy sources are developed, used, regulated, and financed
- Articulate a strong working knowledge of sustainability concepts
- Show an understanding of trends and issues in areas of traffic management, climate science, water supplies, and green buildings
- Develop plans for the integration of sustainable practices into products, business and marketing plans, environmental policies, and organizational processes
- Build finance−schemes and marketing strategies for their plans so they can be presented to an organization leader as an executable idea
Environmental Policy and Management Outcomes
This program prepares students to:
- Develop and demonstrate a higher awareness of environmental ethics including the responsible exercise of individual judgment and civic responsibility and honesty in dealing with environmental issues
- Understand the importance and application of the science of ecology and its impact on the cultural and social creation of humans and earth's physical and biological system
- Demonstrate a solid background in business management, environmental policy, public communication and involvement, and work toward the integration of environmental improvement into all organizational business decisions and operations
- Clearly articulate the roles of legislatures, rule-making bodies, and regulatory enforcement agencies in environmental protection and management
- Display critical thinking processes: analyze, understand, and evaluate environmental issues in organizations including educating the public and instituting collaborative decision-making on issues involving the levels of acceptable risks and degree, intensity, and acceptability of environmental protection
- Apply advanced methods such as life-cycle cost analyses, impact assessment, decision making, science, economics, finance, etc., in an integrative approach to craft informed decisions about complex environmental problems and challenges
MAS in Environmental Policy And Management with a concentration in Energy and Sustainability requires completion of 48 credit hours (12 courses)Professional Foundation Courses - 12 qtr. hrs
Professional Foundations courses help students to understand the scope of activity, historical development, future direction and trends, and typical types and roles of organizations that operate within a career field.
- EPM 4001 - Environmental Foundations and Principles
- EPM 4115 - Introduction to Ecology
- EPM 4710 - Environmental Project Management
Professional Concentration courses allow students to focus on a specific professional area within the larger industry sector in which they are working or wish to work, and master the skills needed to excel in that area.
Further Study - 12 qtr. hrs (Choose 3)
Further Studies Options allow students to customize their degrees to match their career needs by either choosing in-depth study in their concentration by selecting three of the following courses, or exploring other options by using our Degree Builder tool.
Customize your degree or certificate using our convenient online degree builder tool, which allows you to select courses that cater to your specific career needs.Core Courses - 8 qtr. hrs
The Graduate Research and Writing and Capstone Project courses are required for all master's degree students. The Graduate Research and Writing course prepares students for the writing and research assignments throughout their program, including the capstone project. The Capstone Project is the culminating academic endeavor of our degree programs, in which students explore a problem or issue within their field of study.
Design Your Custom Plan
Use the online degree builder tool to customize your degree or certificate. Through the Professional Options Curriculum, you´re able to create your own degree or certificate plan by selecting courses that cater specifically to your career needs. Using the online degree builder, you´ll select the program and courses necessary to graduate from University College.
Start Customizing Your Degree
View the tutorial or start building your plan now.
Careers in Energy and Sustainability
Risk Manager, Energy Consultant, Outreach Organizer, Sustainability Leader, Program Specialist, Project Manager, Solar Engineer, Renewable Energy Manager, Analyst.
Management, analysis, research, consultation, collaboration, data gathering, idea generation, opportunity assessment, planning.
Energy and sustainability is a vibrant field to enter, as alternative and sustainable energies are the top priority for national and global environmental change initiatives. Demand in the workforce is at an all-time high for energy experts, particularly in clean energy, as the federal government invests billions into the renewable energy and energy efficiency sectors. Explore your options in wind, solar, and other alternative energies whether it be in the form of architecture, engineering, construction, management, marketing, or installation.
Careers In Environmental Policy and Management
The future is bright!
Environmental job openings are expected to soar within the next decade, with projections as high as 19% job growth for environmental science positions by 2020, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Careers for environmental specialists will likely be found in prosperous, rapidly growing cities and communities-hello, Denver! Clean energy projects are driving the economic recovery in the United States, with green business especially booming in the Southeast. Clean energy projects are popping up across the country, primarily in California, North Carolina, Florida, and Michigan. Start your career search for environmental-focused employment at any level of government, manufacturing companies, emergency services, service industries, or commercial businesses.
Stay ahead of the curve.
The vast majority of employers within the field of environmental science prefer candidates who hold a relevant master's degree, or a bachelor's degree with a certificate. Keep an eye on alternative energies, such as wind and solar energy, plus jobs that focus on efficient energy management. With the world more attuned to green living, the job market will likely focus on improving sustainability and natural resource management. Job creation in the clean energy and clean transportation sectors are booming across the United States, with more than 110,000 new jobs in those sectors created in 2012. Going green never looked better!
Where are they now?
University College alumni who graduated with a master's degree in environmental policy and management hold job titles such as Safety Director, Environmental Education Coordinator, Senior Environmental Scientist, Environmental Protection Specialist, Watershed Coordinator, Natural Resource Manager, Forester, and Environmental Compliance Engineer in companies and organizations such as Proctor and Gamble, Kinder Morgan, US Forest Service, US Army Corps of Engineers, NASA, and Colorado Conservation Trust.
Ready to Apply
It's time to gather your materials and apply to your program of choice. Remember to include:
Need More Information
Interested in attending University College, but need additional information before you make a decision? No problem−we're here to help. You may request additional information about a specific program and specialty, review and ask questions in our Frequently Asked Questions section, or contact University College directly.
- Request additional information
- Ask a question
- Email University College or call 303-871-2291 or 800-347-2042
Want to Take a Class
Even if you missed the application deadline, you can start taking courses for one quarter before you have to submit a completed application. We know how important it is to get started when you're ready, so review the class schedule or start the registration process now.