The Organizational and Professional Communication program is designed and delivered for early to mid-career communication professionals seeking to enhance and cultivate their interpersonal, organizational, and managerial communication abilities. You’ll develop sound strategies, choose appropriate tactics, implement communication plans, and evaluate success in specialized areas such as marketing, public relations, alternative dispute resolution, training, and organizational communication.
The program challenges and enhances critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making capacities through real-world application of course materials. You’ll learn to navigate internal and external communication challenges by blending traditional and digital communication methods. Then you will learn to apply these methods to influence constituents, implement organizational change, manage crises, and cultivate a reputation for creative leadership.
This program prepares students to:
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills across organizational, professional, and social settings
- Utilize knowledge of theoretical foundations and applied techniques to expand one's comfort level with communication choices across settings
- Display critical thinking processes: analyze, understand, and evaluate communication within organizations and as part of external professional situations
- Utilize creativity in constructing, assessing, and/or managing problem solving, decision making or conflict processes and interactions; demonstrate the ability to revise such processes for more effective outcomes as needed
- Understand the nature and needs of group/team processes as they relate to and operate within organizations
- Demonstrate social awareness, responsibility, and sensitivity for the communication required in culturally diverse groups
- Develop knowledge and skills within one or two communication specialties which enhance and clarify professional direction, career objectives, or personal development
How many times a day do you hear someone say, "I wish they would just communicate better/more/with our team" and so on? Communication is at the core of everything we do in our professional and personal lives. Organizational and Professional Communication professionals are poised and necessary in our global economy to take action and make a difference in a variety of fields such as public relations, marketing, social media, dispute resolution, organizational development, and training, all while using current and emerging media tools. The curriculum is designed with the professional in mind offering classes that are immediately applicable to a variety of communication settings and needs, and using a variety of tactics. Join our experienced faculty and share in a learning experience based on academic challenge, quality learning experiences, and engaging interaction.