In the Environmental Policy and Management program, you will expand or acquire knowledge in natural resources, health and safety, renewable energies, and policy and management as each relates to the environment. As the environmental field continues to grow and develop in emerging areas, industry professionals are tasked with crafting sound environmental practices, applying practical knowledge, and developing ethical management philosophies to better meet the needs of the environmental industry.
You will develop a strategic approach while learning the fundamental interconnections among the environment, technology, markets, law, and policy. Be equipped to solve the environmental challenges in our local and global communities through innovative thinking, analysis, and in-depth knowledge of environmental policy and management.
This program prepares students to:
- Develop and demonstrate a higher awareness of environmental ethics including the responsible exercise of individual judgment and civic responsibility and honesty in dealing with environmental issues
- Understand the importance and application of the science of ecology and its impact on the cultural and social creation of humans and earth's physical and biological system
- Demonstrate a solid background in business management, environmental policy, public communication and involvement, and work toward the integration of environmental improvement into all organizational business decisions and operations
- Clearly articulate the roles of legislatures, rule-making bodies, and regulatory enforcement agencies in environmental protection and management
- Display critical thinking processes: analyze, understand, and evaluate environmental issues in organizations including educating the public and instituting collaborative decision-making on issues involving the levels of acceptable risks and degree, intensity, and acceptability of environmental protection
- Apply advanced methods such as life-cycle cost analyses, impact assessment, decision making, science, economics, finance, etc., in an integrative approach to craft informed decisions about complex environmental problems and challenges
Welcome to the Environmental Policy and Management program at the University of Denver. Our curriculum includes a rich selection of options across the environmental spectrum, and helps you develop essential skills for the 21st century workplace such as problem-solving, decision-making, and critical thinking. Our curriculum is practical and applied. You will often be able to immediately apply what you have learned in class. Our classes are small, less than 20 students, so you will have ample opportunities to interact with, and get to know, your fellow students and instructors. As you pursue your degree we will provide you with strong teaching, academic advising, career services, timely and relevant content, and many opportunities to enhance your effectiveness in, and knowledge of, the environmental profession.