Learning and Development (Certificate)
Discover the unique ways adults learn and the technologies and strategies needed to reach adult learners in this certificate in Learning and Development. You’ll develop advanced facilitation and communication skills in this certificate program, which provides in-depth knowledge of how adults process information and how you can best deliver content using best practices in adult learning.
You’ll learn to:
- Design and execute projects from needs assessment through design, delivery, implementation, and evaluation
- Elucidate key components of adult learning theories and assess and apply them to organizational needs
- Identify, analyze, choose, and defend best instructional strategies and techniques to achieve learning objectives
- Develop advanced facilitation and communication skills for varied audiences with diverse needs
- Evaluate and communicate impact of projects using most relevant metrics and analytics
Credits earned through this graduate certificate may apply toward a master's degree in Communication Management.
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program, please visit our website at http://www.du.edu/learn/certificates/disclosure/opc.html
The graduate Certificate of Advanced Study in Learning and Development requires completion of 24 credit hours (6 courses).
Concentration courses allow students to focus on a specific professional area within the larger industry sector in which they are working or wish to work, and master the skills needed to excel in that area.
- COMM 4002 - Effective Facilitation and Presentation
- COMM 4200 - Instructional Design and Technology
- COMM 4203 - Adult Learning Strategies and Theories
- COMM 4206 - Evaluating Learning and Development Effectiveness
Electives may be chosen from among all courses in Communication Management programs. You may also select courses from other University College graduate programs with approval from the academic director.
Your academic advisor will help you select electives that align with your career and personal goals, and your advisor will obtain any necessary approvals from the academic director.
Popular electives for students pursuing Communication Management programs include:
- COMM 4006 - Communicating Effectively in Groups and Teams
- COMM 4016 - Persuasion Methods and Techniques
- COMM 4020 - Communication in Professions and Organizations
- COMM 4030 - Managing Learning in Organizations
- COMM 4032 - Communication for Change Management
- COMM 4035 - Intercultural Communication
- COMM 4045 - Applied Critical Thinking in Communication
- COMM 4050 - Communication and Society: Theories and Applications
- COMM 4150 - Dimensions of Reputation Management
- COMM 4216 - Performance Consulting
- COMM 4226 - Managing Organizational Conflict
- COMM 4701 - Topics in COMM
Additional Elective courses available, please Design your custom plan for elective courses
Design Your Custom Plan
Start Customizing Your Certificate
View the tutorial or start building your plan now.Design Your Custom Plan!
Careers in Learning and Development Certificate
Coach, Consultant, Facilitator, Instructional Designer, Training Developer, Education Specialist, Training and Development Director
Designing and developing training; assessing outcomes; facilitating training sessions; conducting learning assessments.
Learning and Development Specialist, Instructional Designer, Education Coordinator, Consultant, or Development Director—these are just some of the positions that you'll be prepared to take on. Understanding adult learning theories and strategies is an in-demand skill, whether you're developing content, designing projects, or devising assessments.
Careers in Communication Management
Top communicators get the top rankings! Public relations specialists, marketing researchers, art directors, and marketing managers all placed among the top 100 best careers in a 2013 ranking by U.S. News & World Report. And although communication, public relations, and media jobs tend to be in larger, metropolitan areas, there is a trend that clearly shows a dispersal of job openings across the nation. Whether you're looking to enter creative services, mediation, media, training and development, or another communication field, the key is to prove ingenuity, resilience, and communication savvy.
Stay ahead of the curve!
New media, new technology, and new global opportunities are all the rage within the communication industry, as employers seek industrious professionals who have innovative skills and can bring something new and dynamic to the table. By next year, total marketing spend will have shifted drastically: interactive online marketing will reach $55 billion and search marketing will grow 15% per year to reach $32 billion. Those with an innate ability to generate creative solutions, think innovatively, and market themselves will likely excel within the organizational and professional communication field.
Enhance Your Career
As a student, you'll gain access to a range of free services offered through DU Career Services. From resume and cover letter assistance to individual career counseling and assessments, you'll have valuable career support during and after your program.
Ready to Apply
It's time to gather your materials and apply to your program of choice. Remember to include:
How to Apply
Need More Information
Interested in attending University College, but need additional information before you make a decision? No problem−we're here to help. You may request additional information about a specific program and specialty, review and ask questions in our Frequently Asked Questions section, or contact University College directly.
- Request additional information
- Ask a question
- Email University College or call 303-871-2291 or 800-347-2042
Want to Take a Class
Even if you missed the application deadline, you can start taking courses for one quarter before you have to submit a completed application. We know how important it is to get started when you're ready, so review the class schedule or start the registration process now.